We are lucky to have many options here in Manitoba for Childbirth Education & Prenatal Classes. Please note, this list is not necessarily comprehensive and it is listed in alphabetical order.
Did you know that some prenatal childbirth classes may be covered by private health insurance? Ask your private health insurance provider for more information.
- Bean Family Wellness offers Group Prenatal Childbirth Classes (currently offered as a one-day 8-hr class), Private Prenatal Childbirth Classes (4-hrs) and Refresher Childbirth Classes (2-hrs).
These hands-on, interactive classes aim to empower couples and help them prepare for a positive pregnancy, birth, and postpartum experience. These classes cover preparing for labour and childbirth, what to expect during labour, comfort measures and relaxation, as well as information on what to expect after birth including recovery, postpartum adjustment for your family, baby care, and breastfeeding.
- Upcoming ‘One-Day’ Prenatal Group Class Dates (click links below to register, or visit www.beanfamilywellness.com):
- Birth Roots offers Group and Private Prenatal Birthing Classes, along with Hypnobirthing and Birthing from Within classes.
- Canadian First Aid Training offers prenatal classes. They also offer family first aid classes that can be added onto to prenatal class registration at a significant discount.
- Centre de Santé St. Boniface offers free French-language prenatal classes (cours prénatal en français).
- Healthy Start for Mom and Me runs a free drop-in prenatal group in different areas of Winnipeg and Rural Manitoba where pregnant women can go to learn about healthy pregnancy, nutrition, and get in contact with community supports.
- Hypnobabies Winnipeg: “Hypnobabies is a very successful 6 week, 3-hours per week, complete childbirth education course that was adapted from Gerald Kein’s “Painless Childbirth Program” techniques. Rather than using simple relaxation, breathing or guided imagery, our Hypno-Moms enjoy “eyes-open childbirth hypnosis” and easily remain deeply in hypnosis while walking, talking and changing positions; being as mobile as they would like to be during childbirth. Along with deep hypnosis techniques Hypnobabies also teaches about nutrition, how to stay healthy and low risk, how to make informed choices while giving birth in the hospital environment, the anatomy and physiology of child birth and much much more.” [information via Phalyn Powell HCHI, firstname.lastname@example.org | 204-890-3005]
- Manitoba Association for Childbirth and Family Education offers private and group Inspired Childbirth Preparation Classes. They also offer Second Time Around and Sibling Preparation classes
- Nest Family Centre offers the “Baby Rush” prenatal classes in a variety of formats.
- Youville Centre offers a class for teens and young mothers (“Young Expectations”, for mothers 24 years and younger).
(Classes or Workshops on Pregnancy, Birth, or Postpartum Topics):
- Baby Sleep 101 – “Baby Sleep 101 also offers prenatal lessons for parents who want to avoid common sleep pitfalls by getting a jump start on creating healthy sleep habits in the early months of their baby’s life.” – Baby Sleep 101 owner Joleen Dilk Salyn
- Bean Family Wellness offers private childbirth classes for families who are having a scheduled c-section. Know what to expect in pregnancy, your ‘belly birth’, postpartum recovery, baby feeding, and baby care.
- Bean Family Wellness offers also offers refresher prenatal classes for families welcoming a second, third, fourth baby and beyond! Refresh your skills and learn about family and sibling adjustment.
- Bean Family Wellness offers Birth Wishes Consultations for families who would like to learn more about and to create a Birth Wishes Document / ‘Birth Plan’. 1:1 Workshop led by an experienced birth doula. (Length: 1 hour)
- MACFE offers Second Time Around and Sibling Preparation classes
- Sacred Pregnancy Classes: “These classes bring back the age old tradition of women sitting with one another during pregnancy and birth, getting empowered, witnessing each others process and BEING there for one another during an incredibly power-FULL rite of passage… becoming mothers. Once a week for 8 weeks we gather together and explore pertinent topics that naturally arise for most women as they walk down their pregnancy paths. We encourage deep sharing, exploring art, expression, laughter, honouring and celebration.” – offered by Alison Ritchie
- The Winnipeg Humane Society offers a 2-hour “Dogs & Storks” workshop. “Dogs & StorksTM offers positive, practical, and fun solutions for new parents and expecting families. This is the first national pre baby program where dogs are the focus. Answering the call of many new parents, this program sets the educational groundwork for success before baby arrives.” The fee is $25 per person.