Feeding your baby human milk is natural but it isn’t always easy. To a parent who’s struggling with nursing, support (or lack thereof) can quickly make or break the feeding relationship. In Manitoba, we are really lucky that there are a variety of service providers, resources, and groups to help you on your breastfeeding journey! Read on for these and other options for individual and group breastfeeding support, including private 1:1 breastfeeding support.
Private 1:1 Breastfeeding Support in Winnipeg / Rural Manitoba
Bean Family Wellness: Ilissa Mistry, B.H.Ecol. (FSS), is a Certified Breastfeeding Specialist (CBS™) offering Breastfeeding Consultations before birth & after baby is born.
- Breastfeeding consultations are available evenings + weekends, and can usually be accommodated within 48 hours of request. Available in-person in your home, or Purely Virtual via Zoom Click here to view availability & schedule an appointment.
Additional Breastfeeding Support Services with Bean Family Wellness:
- Breastfeeding 101 Classes (Group or Private)
- Complete Breastfeeding Support Packages are available for families who want varied levels of 1:1 breastfeeding support with a combination of classes, consultation(s), plus telephone/text/email starting in pregnancy through the first 6-weeks after birth.
- ‘Quick Calls’ (Telephone support for basic breastfeeding suggestions / troubleshooting that does not require a full assessment), plus Telephone/Email/Text Support Packages.
Lynette Beard Breastfeeding Support Service: Lynette is a registered nurse and an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) who helps women in Winnipeg and southeast Manitoba through in-home visits, office visits, and breastfeeding classes. Lynette has specialized training for evaluating infants for tongue ties and working with families post-revision. If you suspect a tongue or lip tie that you suspect is interfering with breastfeeding, Lynette can help point you in the right direction. Services are available fee for service.
- Find out more about Lynette’s services on her Facebook page: @lynettebeardbreastfeeding
- Check out Lynette’s new guide to breastfeeding in the early days after birth!
Foundations Birth Services is Collective that offers services during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum, and offers Private In-home Lactation Consultation as well as Prenatal Breastfeeding Basics Classes. Services are available fee for service.
Winnipeg Breastfeeding Centre: “We are Family Physicians specialized in treating all breastfeeding issues. We provide evidence based care for breastfeeding issues. We will see patients through their journey to success with them and their family’s breastfeeding goals. We can also see patients prenatally who anticipate challenges with breastfeeding or want to learn more about breastfeeding.
- Our clinic is referral based. Our website is wpgbreastfeedingcentre.com, our address is 191 Marion St. We are located in the Family Care Medical Centre. Phone number is 204-231-1724, fax is 204-231-1829. We are fully covered by Manitoba Health so there is no cost to patients. “
Winnipeg Breastfeeding Hotline
The WRHA also runs a 24/7 breastfeeding hotline for basic questions and troubleshooting about breastfeeding / infant feeding. Available through Health Links. Call 204-788-8667.
Southeast Breastfeeding Support Group
Lynette Beard also runs a Southeast Breastfeeding Support Group in Landmark, Manitoba. For more information, visit: https://www.facebook.com/groups/765921620174058/
Winnipeg La Leche League
“LLL Canada encourages, promotes and provides mother-to-mother breastfeeding support and educational opportunities as an important contribution to the health of children, families and society.”
There are multiple groups in Winnipeg. Meetings are open to all interested people (expectant parents, grand-parents, friends, etc.) Babies and younger children are always welcome. Check out the groups to find one near you.
- Winnipeg Red River – typically meets every 4th Monday of the month
- Winnipeg South – typically meets the 3rd Wednesday of the month
- Winnipeg West Mornings – typically meets the 1st Tuesday of the month
- Winnipeg West Evenings – typically meets the 2nd Wednesday of the month
Drop-in Breastfeeding Support Groups
*CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE DUE TO COVID-19* These are free, casual drop-in groups for mothers who are expecting or nursing. (And in my experience, even women who started coming for support but for whatever reason are no longer nursing are welcomed, too.) I, myself have been to groups at two different locations and both were staffed by kind, helpful women who genuinely seem to love what they do. Led by a facilitator, the group usually goes around the circle introducing themselves and their babies or toddlers, and sharing any challenges or experiences, and then others share ideas or their own experiences in response. A nice way to meet other mothers who share the breastfeeding experience, talk to professionals who can answer questions you may have, and weigh your baby.
Nourri-Source: a French-language support system for breastfeeding mothers, offered by Pluri-elles in Winnipeg. To get connected to Nourri-Source, call 204-233-1735 or visit pluri-elles.mb.ca., or find Pluri-elles on Facebook